Welcome to the official page for news about the Board of Commissioners. This section focuses on current events and accomplishments related to the Commissioners and their partners. Please visit our list of Commissioner Projects for detailed descriptions of what the Commissioners are currently working on.
Four Chaplains Presented to the Commissioners
On Thursday, February 12, 2009, the American Legion Post #118, Amherst; Jack McNauton, Trustee, Sally Cornwell, President of the Ladies Auxiliary and Tom Hauck, Commander gave a presentation on the Four Chaplains.
The Four Chaplains were four United States Army chaplains who gave their lives to save other soldiers during the sinking of the USAT Dorchester during World War II. They helped other soldier’s board lifeboats and gave up their own life jackets when the supply ran out; 230 of the 904 men aboard the ship were rescued. Life jackets offered little protection from hypothermia, which killed most men in the water. Water temperature was 34 °F (1 °C) and air temperature was 36 °F (2 °C). By the time additional rescue ships arrived "...hundreds of dead bodies were seen floating on the water, kept up by their life jackets."
The chaplains, who all held the rank of lieutenant, were the Methodist Reverend George L. Fox, the Jewish Rabbi Alexander D. Goode, the Roman Catholic Priest John P. Washington and the Reformed Church in America Reverend Clark V. Poling. They were sailing on the USAT Dorchester troop transport on February 3, 1943, when the vessel, travelling in convoy, was torpedoed by the German submarine U-223 in the North Atlantic. As the vessel sank, the four chaplains calmed the frightened soldiers and sailors, aided in the evacuation of the ship, and helped guide wounded men to safety. The chaplains also gave up their own life jackets.
On December 19, 1944, all four chaplains were posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and the Distinguished Service Cross. The Chaplain's Medal for Heroism was authorized in 1961 and posthumously presented by the President of the United States to the families of the chaplains.
The chaplains were also honored with a stamp, issued in 1948 and by an act of Congress designating February 3 as "Four Chaplains Day."
Goode, Poling and Washington had previously served together as leaders in the Boy Scouts of America.
A chapel in their honor was dedicated on February 3, 1951 by President Harry S. Truman to honor these soldiers of different faiths at Grace Baptist church in Philadelphia. In 1974, that congregation moved to Blue Bell selling the building to Temple University. The original chapel fell into disrepair and was eventually evicted by the university in 1991.
The foundation overseeing the chapel moved the chapel to a temporary space in Pottstown, Pennsylvania while it raised funds for a new chapel on land donated at Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge. Zoning problems, neighborhood opposition, and a lack of money led the chapel to move to the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in 2001.
On February 19, 2009 Mr. Ronald T. Fradley, Lorain gave each Commissioner an envelope with the four chaplains and the 1948 stamp.
4th Annual State of the County Address
The Fourth Annual State of the County Address took place on Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at Lorain County Community College’s Spitzer Conference Center. The event was hosted by the Lorain County Chamber of Commerce, and featured presentations by the Lorain County Board of Commissioners; Ted Kalo, Lori Kokoski and Betty Blair.
During the luncheon, the Commissioners had the opportunity to reflect on the accomplishments of the past year. Each Commissioner also presented new plans and goals to implement in the upcoming year. To see their presentations firsthand, watch the 2009 State of the County Address for yourself.
VIDEO of State of the County Address
Ohio Statehouse Museum Project
The Capitol Square Review and Advisory Board (CSRAB) have developed a design plan to create updated, high-tech, interactive exhibits and educational programs at The Ohio Statehouse. CSRAB and CCAO have partnered on this project and seeked assistance from all 88 counties.
The Ohio Statehouse Museum is scheduled to open sometime in June 2009. Each county was asked to participate by submitting 25 photos and biographies of individuals who have come to serve their fellow citizens and make a difference either as governors, legislators, business people, farmers, concerned citizens and even school children. View Lorain County's submission for photos and biographies of all the people selected for this special museum exhibit.
Lorain County Bicentennial Bell Casting
The Lorain County Bicentennial Bell Casting events were held August 19-20, 2003 during the Lorain County Fair. Activities included Bronze Melting, Mold Pouring, Mold Cracking and Ringing the Bell.
A highlight of the event was the "Hands across Lorain County," during the Bronze Melting stage. In this ceremony, a child from every city, township and village lined up side by side to pass small pieces of bronze ingots from child-to-child; the foundry workers then put the pieces into the furnace for melting.
Lorain County Bicentennial Barn
The Ohio Bicentennial Commission painted at least one barn in each of Ohio's 88 counties with the red, white, and blue bicentennial logo. Lorain County's barn is located on State Route 58, south of Route 113, four miles north of Route 511, across from Deer Track Golf Club. This was the 27th barn to be painted in Ohio. To visit the barn, please see a map of the barn's coordinates.
A poll shows over one million Ohioans report having seen one of the Bicentennial Barns, usually chosen for their visible location.
Commissioner Betty Blair
Commissioner Ted Kalo
Commissioner Lori Kokoski
Voice Your Opinion
Watch Live Meeting
NEW! Local News
Public Hearing Rooms
• Animal Control
• Commissioner Pages
• Lorain County Transit
• Board Appointment
• Commissioner News
• Passport Services
• County Jobs
• Photo Contest